Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Close to home....

I have a hard time listening to bad news. My stomach drops before I even hear the details. I can just hear it in the tone of voice. I got a call from a good friend last week. Her son's best friend had hit a deer with his motorcycle and crushed his brain stem. He was wearing a helmet and because of that, his family was given time to say good-bye. He was a good kid. I didn't know him too well, but he was the best friend of someone who is like family to me.

I sat in church last Sunday and couldn't help but feel so broken for the family who sat two rows in front of me. I had just found out their mom (who was once my choir director) was battling cancer and had to be hospitalized for a month to receive large, intense doses of chemotherapy. She is in a room where everything going in must be sterilized. She had to miss her daughter's college graduation and her son's high school graduation.

I admit, I will often avoid reading the "medical blogs". I am more than willing to pray, but sometimes I get so caught up in them and have a very difficult time emotionally when following their journeys. Information like that overtakes me and I can't function. It often paralyzes me.

The two situations I mentioned above have hit close to home. They have given me perspective and allowed me to see and understand just a little bit more of what some people have to go through.

I believe the Lord has given me a heart for those who are hurting. To come alongside them and mourn with them. I think, in part, that is why I decided to be a Human Service major.

But....most of the time, I think the pain is just too much.

But then I have to remind myself that I don't have to carry the pain. I just have to take it to the cross and lay it at His feet.

4 comments:

Shannon K. said...

Oh, Liz...I am the same way. I physically feel the pain of others. I almost can't stand it. Hearing about kids is the worst.

Amanda said...

Oh bless your loving heart... that last line choked me up like you wouldnt believe. Wow. Just wow girl... I wish everyone and anyone who is carrying the burden of pain could read that line... this whole post for that matter. Amazing perspective!

Blessings-
Amanda

Laura said...

Oh how sad. I will keep them in my prayers. It is awful to have to watch people go through things like that.

Katrina said...

Those are both so sad. I'm pretty sure I heard about the motorcycle accident on the news. I will definitely be keeping both families in my prayers.