Monday, December 6, 2010

From the sky

Over thanksgiving week, I spent time in 4 different planes. That means taking off and landing 4 times. For me, this translated to 4 times I had to deal with intense pain in my ears. When I say intense, I mean screeching, knife stabbing pain in my ears. I have tried every trick, but the ol ears still give me grief. Of course the higher altitude, the more pain upon descending. Good times.

But my ears are not really the point of this post.

It was not until the fourth flight I was on, from Newark, NJ to Manchester, NH, that I began to look at the ground from my window seat. As we took off, I could see hundreds of houses and cars. How tiny they looked from my little seat on the airplane. Their size did not amazing me, though. I began to think about all the people coming and going from those houses and how any people are in those cars. Each house likely represented, on average, four people living there.

Do the math; that is a lot of people. What took my breath away was thinking about how the Lord knows every person in that city. Every tear. Every laugh. He beats every one of their hearts. Are you getting the picture here? His power and omniscience in knowing that city alone is amazing. If you take it farther and think about our whole country and then our whole world? I am overwhelmed just thinking about it. Billions of people!

He loves each one.

He hears each one.

He longs to have a relationship with EACH one! I can barely maintain a close relationship 15 people, never mind billions.

That airplane ride showed me just a glimpse of this power. My finite mind does not even have the ability to comprehend what He is capable of being and doing.

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength." 1 Corinthians 1:25

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Amazing when you stop and think. And he cares for ME. Mind boggling! Thanks for the reminder!

Fado said...

Thanks for sharing. I had a similar thought process earlier today. An even crazier thought is that he loves us the way we are! We didn't and don't have to do anything to earn His love! He loves all those crazy and imperfect people who are bustling around inside and out of their houses. Hope you're doing well Liz!

Laura Darling said...

I. Love. This.

Hope all is well.