Sunday, June 14, 2009

Can't help but think.....

Tonight my thoughts are focused heavily on my grandma. The last six months has been the hardest time in her life. She is in her 80's and as spunky as anything. Six months ago my grandfather, her husband, went significantly down hill in terms of health. He passed away three months later. Two weeks after his death, my grandmother's best friend of 50+ years went in for a routine surgery. She contracted an infection, and the top doctors in Boston could not save her. She passed away a month after my grandfather. Two weeks ago my grandmother received a phone call letting her know her oldest brother passed away during the night. My heart is so broken for her. I cannot imagine losing a spouse (of 54 years), best friend, and sibling all within three months. I spent time with her tonight, and I can see how tired and weary she is from mourning.

While I focus on her pain, I am also aware of other very difficult situations that are causing some of my dear friends deep pain. In many of these situations I find myself feeling helpless- wanting to do something. As I search scripture for words of wisdom and encouragement, I am reminded of Galatians 6:2 "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." In carrying the burdens for others, I can point them to the cross, for there they will find rest for their souls. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.

As I walk along those who are suffering, I cannot help but think the Lord is preparing me and teaching me to be His hands and His feet.

1 comment:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

A beautiful post. I enjoyed reading your blog today.


Love it when I have time to do blog hopping...I always enjoy finding new blogs and new friends. Hope you will stop by and visit me.
This month I am posting on our Disney trip plus a June giveaway.